If you've had problems logging in to your account on the web to view your bookmarks at my.foxmarks.com, to change your account settings, or to be mailed a temporary login link, we wanted to let you know that we've found and fixed your problem.
It was, unfortunately, a nasty character encoding problem that affected all users that had non-English characters in the first or last name fields of their accounts. Some users wrote to us letting us know they were having such problems, and we manually fixed their accounts to remove the problematic characters while we were fixing the underlying problem. Those users can now change their accounts back by going to our home page and clicking "Manage My Account."
Regardless, we're pretty sure we've fixed the problem. If you see any remnants of it, please let us know.